2020 Grant Cycle Open Now - What are you waiting for?
Despite all they do for us, tens of thousands of horses fall victim to abuse and neglect each year – and over 81,000 were shipped across our borders to be slaughtered in 2018.
The work of the EQUUS Foundation begins each time the career of a horse comes to an end because we believe an end is the beginning of another opportunity!
The EQUUS Foundation is committed to ensuring that these gentle giants can continue to partner with us as athletes, companions, teachers and healers by collaborating with individuals and equine organizations across the nation and by facilitating new and innovative collaborations between horses and people.
Photo courtesy of EQUUS Foundation Guardian charity, Brook Hill Farm
Our Guardians program nationally recognizes equine charities dedicated to the highest standards for horse care that demonstrate their willingness to be fully transparent and make their policies and horse care practices available for public scrutiny.
Our goal is to have every deserving equine charity recognized as a Guardian to ensure that donor dollars are being spent on programs with the greatest impact – whether those dollars are donated through the EQUUS Foundation or donated directly to our Guardian charities.
Why Become A Guardian?
• Only organizations designated as EQUUS Foundation Guardians are eligible to receive financial support from the EQUUS Foundation. Learn more about our funding programs here.
• Only organizations designated as Guardians receive a DONATE BUTTON on their profile page where 100% of the donations received are distributed back to the Guardian.
SOCIAL MEDIA/SHARING YOUR STORIES
• Only organizations designated as Guardians are promoted in our social media.
• We also welcome stories from our Guardians to share utilizing other media opportunities to raise awareness of the inspirational impact of horses in our lives.
• Only organizations designated as Guardians are eligible to participate in our Next Chapters program featuring listings of horses available and horses wanted. Only organizations designated as Guardians are eligible to be invited to participate in EQUUS Foundation Next Chapter events.
Next Chapters event at 2019 Hampton Classic - Photo by Lisa Tamburini
We challenge you!!
You may have heard that our grant process is challenging -- it is!
We ask a lot of questions to thoroughly review an organization's operations to ensure that the programs are transparent and are mutually benefitting the horses and the people involved.
The core of our mission is that any role in which horses partner with people, including Equine Assisted Activities and Therapies (EAAT), must safeguard the comfort and dignity of the horses and make the quality of life of our equine partners paramount.
This year, we will be introducing three webinars to assist in the completion and submission of the required information:
• #1: WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A GUARDIAN: An overview of the EQUUS Foundation and the grant process
• #2: FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT BASICS: A guide to understand and complete the Guardian financial section
• #3: THE IMPORTANCE OF RECORD KEEPING: A guide to complete the Guardian equine census and equine costs sections
Available free to equine charities seeking the EQUUS Foundation Guardian Seal, this workshop will provide in depth, hands on, small group sessions on governance, financial management, strategic planning, policies impacting programs and operations, and funding for continued growth.
"Best Practices – Hands On Workshop"
The workshop will be held at an EQUUS Foundation Guardian facility to allow attendees to learn from and participate directly with the staff (and the horses) of the host charity and experience operations first hand.
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
It's more important now than ever before -- with the advent of the internet and social media and the ease in which misleading information can be disseminated -- that the very best equine charities are nationally recognized.
We want to ensure that donors invest in the equine charities that are transparent about their policies as they work to shelter and rehabilitate America's horses subjected to abuse and neglect, and at risk for slaughter; retrain and re-home horses in transition; provide opportunities for horses to elevate the lives of people; and ensure that aged horses experience peaceful and humane retirement and end of life.
How to Become a Guardian . . .
In order to be designated as a Guardian, an organization must first join our Equine Welfare Network. Click here to join our Equine Welfare Network.
If your organization is already participating on our Equine Welfare Network, click here to log into your network profile and follow the online instructions to update your Guardian information.
We welcome and encourage your organization to take the steps to be recognized as a Guardian in 2020!
Photo courtesy of EQUUS Foundation Guardian, Ride Above Disability Therapeutic Riding Center. Boundless opportunities exist for horses to improve the well-being of people.
ABOUT EQUUS FOUNDATION: The EQUUS Foundation, a 501(c)(3) public charity established in 2002, is the only national animal welfare charity in the United States 100% dedicated to protecting America's horses and strengthening the bond between people and horses. Donations are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law. Contact the EQUUS Foundation, Inc., at 168 Long Lots Road, Westport, CT 06880, Tele: (203) 259-1550, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Website: www.equusfoundation.org.