To be accepted as a public charity on our network:
I. The organization must certify that
• The organization is recognized by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as tax-exempt under 26 U.S.C. 501(c)(3) to which contributions are tax deductible pursuant to 26 U.S.C. 170(c)(2) as a public charity and the organization is not a private foundation.
• The organization provides or conducts real services, benefits, assistance, or program activities related to horse welfare in the United States.
• The organization prepares and submits to the IRS a complete copy of the organization's IRS Form 990 or certifies that the organization is not required to submit an IRS Form 990.
• The organization conducts publicity and promotional activities based upon its actual program and operations, and that these activities are truthful and non-deceptive, include all material facts, and make no exaggerated or misleading claims.
• The organization has operated as a 501(c)(3) tax exempt public charity for at least one full operating year.
• The organization does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, national origin, disability, handicap, age, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
II. Organization must must provide programs that:
• Shelter, rehabilitate, and retrain America's horses at risk of abuse, neglect and slaughter, and re-home them with careers as athletes, companions, teachers and especially healers.
• Provide opportunities for horses to change people's lives, especially people with special needs.
III. Organization must have a presence on the Internet and ensure that the content displayed is kept current and based on actual programs and operations.
IV. The EQUUS Foundation expects all charities that are accepted on our network, regardless of their size and scope, to be accountable and transparent to the public. The EQUUS Foundation requires that all charities be recognized by GuideStar at a minimum of its Silver Level.
GuideStar is a free information service specializing in U.S. nonprofit companies. For Silver status, you will need to provide your organization's address, contact name, and e-mail, mission statement, your leadership (Board), program names and descriptions, and an audited financial report OR basic financial information if your organization is not audited. This is information you should have readily at hand.
Please update your organization's GuideStar profile at https://www.guidestar.org/Login.aspx with the required information. If you have not done so already, you will need to create an account; otherwise sign in to update the report. Click the yellow tab, Update Nonprofit Report, and follow the online instructions.